Monday, April 7, 2014

How great is my calling

I am sure blessed to be a missionary right now. I absolutely loved conference, it was incredible. We are so blessed to be able to hear the words of prophets and apostles.There was one moment in yesterday's conference that hit me really hard, it was just the tiniest moment when one of the Seventies in the last session was talking about the early saints. He said that they went through Iowa... and it hit me, I thought of my family, and how you were sitting at home watching the very same thing at the very same time, and thought of me. In that moment, I felt so overcome with the spirit, I was completely enveloped in pure love and approval. I knew that I missed all of you, and you missed me, and that I am so blessed to be in this situation of being away from home and loved ones.  This was a sacred moment, a tender mercy for me. it was exactly what I have been needing.

Anyway, Davenport is great! The work is slow right now, (winter is very tough on us Iowa missionaries- nobody to talk to!) but I am absolutely sure that as we work diligently and faithfully, we will see miracles. I am also grateful, and proud, and shocked to say that this is the greatest 55 degree day of my life. The weather is great. I left the house without tights or a coat today!!! So happy! This spring weather will make it a lot easier to talk to people- they are much happier too, and they're actually outside! :)

I have to say, the bus is not as awful as I had dreamed it up to be in my head. Having never ridden a city bus before, I was pretty skeptical of how this week would go, but everything went well. Getting places took a lot longer than with a car, but it was alright. And, guess what- I did it, I actually had a conversation with a nice, interested lady on the bus, which ended (by plenty of help from the Spirit) with me basically teaching the restoration. I gave her a mormon.org card with our number, and invited her to take a look. Whether she will or not, I don't know, but I do know that I felt how proud Heavenly Father was of me as we exited the bus. I had done exactly as he asks me to do "Yea, open your mouths and they shall be filled." It was a wonderful experience.

I was very grateful and felt very loved this week when I got a couple cards and a cute little stuffed camel on my "hump day." :) I cannot believe that my mission is half over!!! At the same time, I feel like I have been on my mission for so so long sometimes. I never want to be released, I never want to go home, I love being a full- time missionary so much. I had a two minute freak out this week as I thought for a moment too long about college and working when I get back, and how it will all work out. The blessing and miracle of this precious time in my life is that for nine more months, I don't even have to think about it. Nothing else matters but doing my Savior's work right now. Of course I miss home and family and friends, and there are things I can't wait to do and see again, but all of that is in Heavenly Father's hands. I don't have to do anything but be the best missionary I possibly can right now. I have 9 more months to give my whole self to this incredible work, and I intend to make the best of every single day.

Thank you for your prayers of love and support- I feel them, so often, and they mean the world to me. 9 fast sundays! ;)

So much love,
Sister Monroe
 We love the bus! This was while we were waiting at the transit center before the bus routed back to our apartment. Sister King is in the back, and Sister Stephens is next to me. 

 I made a fake Sister Stephens while she was in the bathroom before bed. It took her a minute to notice, but she thought it was pretty funny.

  "hump day" mail. I was so happy! So fun!

 A sweet box of happiness from my Evie. :)

Sometimes you put your stuffed animals in the corner of your bed in the morning without looking, and then you go to get into bed and find them like this. Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment