Monday, July 29, 2013

First Full Week in the Field!

So, I am doing well, and I love Iowa. I love my mission, and this work. I am going to be honest and say that this week was pretty tough. It had good parts though! We taught the Armstrongs on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. They are doing well. We have them reading a chapter on their own before each appointment, which is basically a miracle in itself, since Shannon has never read it herself before. We also feel it was a good idea to have them read together, so that way they will actually do it, and learn and experience it together. Their biggest hold back currently is tithing. They always jokingly tell us they are "too poor to be mormons." We told them to have faith, and that as they learn the other principles of the gospel to be true, tithing will seem like less of a sacrifice. Over all, they are making great progress. I know that we are teaching by the spirit, and because of that, they are learning by it, which is all we can hope for. Thank you so much for praying for them. Shannon is receptive and loves us, I know the prayers have helped with that. The main reason that this week has been difficult is because we spend SO much time finding, with very little success, and it is very hard not to feel useless or discouraged. We are pushing through though. Wednesday was definitely the hardest day of the week. I woke up feeling disheartened to say the least, but said a prayer and started the day as positively as I could. I was doing alright, but when we sang a hymn to start companion study, I couldn't hold it together and just started crying. Sis. Oman is so sweet, and was feeling it too. We talked about how we were feeling and moved on. Then, for lunch I had leftovers, which were fine the day before, but within 15 minutes I was feeling terrible. I lost my lunch, and feared that the nausea wouldn't let up. I felt so guilty for not being able to leave, but I knew if we did, I would be sharing much more than the gospel on someone's doorstep. Haha. We stayed in for an hour and watched the Testaments. Luckily, after one more sprint to the bathroom, my nausea subsided. The Elders in our district are wonderful, and met us at the church before our appointment with the bishop to give us both blessings. I am so grateful for worthy priesthood holders, it was just what I needed to hear. Thursday was much better. We have district lunch and district meeting every Thursday. We meet together, talk about our goals, our investigators, and give each other advice. It is so nice.
Friday and Saturday we had a "called to serve" youth missionary with us. It's a cool program they've done here for years. They have youth volunteer, set them apart, give them temporary tags, and send them somewhere in the mission that they live in. Ours was Sis. Keller, who was so very sweet. She is 17, and wants to serve a mission. She showed up during comp. study and was just our extra companion for two days. She stayed somewhere else at night though. I loved having her. I find so much joy and comfort in my scriptures, I am truly grateful for the time I get to study them each day. I am growing and learning through these trials, and I know this is all for my good. I know that The Lord is teaching us something, and that in time, He will bless us for our diligence. We share our car with the Elders, so we are without it this week. Please pray that we will be able to get around! We have a list of members who say they'll help, so that's good. I love all of you so much. I feel and appreciate everyone's prayers and support each day. -Sister Monroe
My trainer Sister Oman
We stuck a Book of Mormon in the "free library" while we were finding.
Corn and sunshine. There's a whole lot of both of those here!

No comments:

Post a Comment